Sunday, May 16, 2010

Cough, alleries, asthma, oh my!

First, let me start off by saying I was a single mom this weekend. My husband went out of town on Thursday...to New Orleans...for a bachelor party! So on Thursday, I dropped him off at the airport and headed up to a friend's (and business partner) house for dinner. We had an early morning meeting so HMB and I stayed at her place and we all went to the meeting the next morning (with a high school art class who had done the art work for our book).

HMB had started coughing Thursday morning, I just figured it was allergies. He has had a runny nose and a little goop in his eyes for a couple weeks, but nothing else adn I chalked it up to allergies, just like me. But as his cough progressed, I could see it in his eyes that this was not allergies. So instead of spending the rest of the day working, I called the doctor and got an appointment around lunchtime.

After 30 minutes of waiting (not bad for an emergency appointment), we saw the doctor and found out a DOUBLE ear infection was the cause of the crabbiness, as well as a respiratory infection or some type. After looking through his chart, the docotor said HMB might have asthma or allergies.

While we were there, HMB had a breathing treatment and it was HORRIBLE! He cried the entire time, I had to hold him down while the nurse held the mask up to his face. But his oxygen went way up afterward so it worked. After all that crying and deciding that HMB was going to have ice cream for lunch, HMB had to have blood taken to check for allergies. I think the anticipation (for me) was worse than the actal blood draw. HMB survived and off we went to get his antibiotics, albuterol, and ICE CREAM!

After 24 hours on the antibiotics, HMB was definitely feeling better, we even made it out for a run and to my soccer game. He was in very good spirits and passed out at about 7:30pm last night and slept well, thank goodness!

Overall, it wasn't too bad and HMB is on the road to recovery. Although I am worried about the possible asthma. We will cross that bridge when we come to it!

1 comment:

  1. I worry about asthma, too - Mark has asthma so every time one of the kids gets a cold I worry that it will settle in their lungs or that they'll start showing signs of asthma. Lucy actually had bronchiolitis a couple months ago and had nebulizer treatments 2-3 times a day for over a week. The first few treatments were the worst, then she got used to it and it wasn't so bad.

    Hope HMB gets all better fast (just in time for Daddy to come home, right?)!

    ReplyDelete