Monday, March 22, 2010

This post about me

Sorry grandmas, this post is about mommy of HMB, not really HMB! I have to get out some recent struggles and I might as well do it here, especially since I just read the blog of a high school. She is chronicallying her struggles trying to lose some weight. Jake was born on January 22, 2009. I signed up for a half marathon at the end of March, that didn't happen. I signed up another one May 10th and started training. I ran the half marathon, maintaining just under 10 minute mile and I felt tired at the end, but pretty damn good. And all the baby weight was gone (ok, I still had to fasten my pre-baby jeans with a rubber band but they fit).

Then it all started, first as really bad heartburn and difficulty swallowing. About a month later, my stomach issues started, as well as the high blood pressure. I wasn't running as much as I wanted to, mostly due to my mom visiting then vacationing in CA and eating LOTS of food! I did the army 10-miler and although I finished, my pace was almost TWO minutes slower than my run in May. So from August to October, I gained a few pounds. Fast forward 4 months and many symptoms later and I am finally given a diagnosis: Grave's disease, or a very hyperactive thyroid. I had been working out but not running nearly as much as I had in the past, when I would try to run, I would get tired so quickly and my breathing was labored. And I finally knew WHY! I had gained a few more pounds, even though people with HYPER thyroid usually lose weight despite being hungry and eating like a crazed teenager! But for me, even though my metabolism was racing, I wasn't running as much as I was used to and I was eating all the time. Then I start on the medication, while my symptoms got better, my belly grew! All in all, I was about 15 pounds heavier than I was before I got pregnant.

I can definitely put things into perspective and I am so happy that I know what is wrong with me and making the moves to get it taken care of. But that doesn't mean I have to like it! I dusted off the 30 Day Shred by Jillian Michaels and put it to the test. I might have gone a little two far, doing two of her workouts at once, come on - twice as much equals a 15 day shred, right? WRONG! It equals a crazy amount of lunges and busted knees! The knees healed after a few days and back to the shred I go, in addition to running, lifting, and other cardio. As my friends will tell you, I can get down with the best as far as working out, it's the eating that usually messes me up. And we're not talking about big macs and krispy kreme, either! I tend to overdose on triscuits and cottage cheese, cheerios, and natural peanut butter. But calories are calories, so I need to be careful! I am not aiming for pre-baby weight, but 10 pounds less wold be ideal. I will keep working at it and see what happens!

OK, I know HMB stories are much more exciting but I had to get it all out! As I blog, HMB is asleep in his crib, which is where he starts out...inevitably, he will wake up and scream! And I will get him, sometimes I remember, sometimes I don't, and sleep with him on the futon couch for the rest of the night. Needless to say, he is still a little HMB (but of course a freakin' cute HMB). I will keep working on that and also see what happens....

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! I'm going to come up with a plan for getting into shape after this baby is born. I'm going to be looking for a job and no one likes hiring the fat chick. :)

    ReplyDelete