Monday, March 29, 2010

Gluten Free, is it the way to be?

Since I started to not feel well, the idea of going gluten free has fluttered around in my head. I have talked with a good friend about it, she has gone GF to see if it helps her own (scarily similar) symptoms. Right before I found out about the Graves', I was about to go GF to see if it would help. Of course, once I found out about the Graves', I figured all my symptoms, including the stomach issues, were related to it. I am now a month and a half into the medication and many of my symptoms have subsided or at the very least gotten better, except my stomach. I have read, as well as talked about with the friend mentioned above, that thyroid issues and gluten issues often go hand in hand. Today was day one, and not as bad as you might think. There are a lot of GF options - rice, potatoes, corn, plus all the flours made from non-wheat sources. And although I would rather have a potato than a piece of bread (ok, maybe not a piece of delicious sourdough bread), I will miss not being able to have a sandwich, or a bowl of cheerios. Or cake. Or pizza. Not that I eat those things often but when you can't have something, you want it even MORE! I am thankful that I have a friend who is going through it all and has already helped me in so many ways. She and I will just have to get some soy flour and make our own GF cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment