Friday, March 12, 2010

Are you kidding me?

The day started out like many (fabulous) others, HMB was a happy boy and even slept in his crib until 5am! He napped while I ran and took a mini nap later in the afternoon, wow! We headed to basketball and brought HMB along since we finally had a 7pm game (most are 8 or 9pm, too late for HMB). HMB ran around chasing balls shouting, "BA, BA". Then we had to pick him up because games were starting and he got pissed! My husband gave him some goldsish crackers and although he was crying, he tried to eat one and ended up inhaling it. He coughed, sputtered, and finally spit out orange fish bits. He was OK, just a little shaken. But he was also coughing...a lot. He coughed a lot through the night and through Wednesday. Wednesday night he went to sleep in his crib but I noticed that he was breathng fast and wheezing a little. Was a piece of the goldfish stuck in his lungs? What s just the aftermath of his cold? My husband reassured me and I went to sleep, until about 12am when HMB woke up and we tossed and turned together until 2am, finally going to sleep until 4:30am, then up again, me for the day, HMB finally went back to sleep for another couple hours. OK, still wheezing and breathing fast, something is wrong. We went to the doctor and HMB's oxygen was low, he got two breathing treatments and it went up. The doc suggested getting a nebulizer and also prescribed some steriods. As well as a chest x-ray just in case. $100 at the pharmacy and a nap later, we headed to the hospital for the x-ray. HMB was such a trooper through the waiting and the x-ray and the waiting! Finally, we found out the new, nope, the goldfish was NOT the culprit. PNEUMONIA! What??? Are you serious? Yes indeed! So the doc called in a prescription for antiobiotics and HMB's breathing is alread so much better. I just couldn't believe it! Fortunately, HMB has been in a pretty good mood throughout except that one night. Last night he did pretty well, waking up at 3am and going back to sleep (with me on the futon cough) until 6:30am. He is napping now and it's going on 3 hours, I think the antiobotics are kicking in!

1 comment: