Monday, April 19, 2010

What's up with Mom of HMB?

This will be another post about mom of HMB - I have some thyroid updates and thought I would share. I have been on a medication to control my hyperthyroidism aka Graves' disease, for over two months. I get labs done and go to the doctor every two weeks to see how my thyroid levels are as well and to check and make sure the medication is not damaging my liver or lowering my white blood cell count. The past two visits, I was informed that my thyroid levels are getting better, woo hoo!!! Sadly, my white blood cells are low and my liver isn't doing too well. I was told we would wait two weeks and check again. I went to the doctor last week and was told that although my WBC count has stabilized, my liver is still not doing well. So I am off the medication...and on another one....that could also cause liver damage and low WBC count.

At this point, it is important to note that I was on the original medication (PTU) because the doctor knows I would like to get pregnant sometime in the next few months. With the new medication, this is not the case. In fact, it could take a year to a year and a half to be stable and get pregnant on this new medication. WOW! OK, my health is the most important thing because if I'm not healthy, how can I take care of a baby (and HMB) or even BE pregnant? The doctor stressed another option, that will not only allow me to become pregnant within a few months, but be free from hyperthyroidism forever - a total thyroidectomy. Yep, take it all out! So I will meet with a surgeon in the next couple weeks to talk about what he/she thinks and possibly, possibly, schedule a surgery.

This is a big decision, one I will live with forever, as I take synthroid or another type of medication for the rest of my life, as I will NEVER have a thyroid again. Another issue at the doctor, which seems silly compared to the whole TT thing, is that I GAINED a pound!! I have been running 5 miles, 5 times per week PLUS a longer run on the weekends, AND been on a gluten free and meat free diet (and alcohol) and I gained weight?!? In the grand scheme of things, the weight gain and the thyroid are things I can handle. I have A LOT of things to be happy for and I don't want the masses (all 9 of my readers) to think I am not grateful! Because I most definitely am, HMB and all!

I actually wrote all of this the day I found out about the meds not working but didn't post it. I think I just needed to vent. OK, keep you all posted :)

2 comments:

  1. Good luck - I know this must be a hard choice. I know others with thyriod issues and they are often having to adjust their meds. You know if you need anything re: liver to call my dad!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks MommyEsq! I found out today that the drug I was on has been pulled off the market due to liver issues!!!

    ReplyDelete