Thursday, April 15, 2010

What do you do?

As I have said in a previous post, I read a lot of blogs. I read a lot of mom blogs. Some moms work outside of the home, some moms work in the home, some have many kids, some have one. Well, I definitely only have one child (so far) but when I am asked the question of whether or not I work, it's a little more complicated.

I do have a Master's in Counseling Psychology (you pretty much have to go to grad school to do anything in the counseling field) and I am also a Licensed Professional Counselor in the District of Columbia - so I can see private therapy clients and call myself a therapist, as well as bill insurance.

That's nice, but what does this all mean?? It means that I DO work, but not in a traditional 9-5 job. After HMB was born, I quit my crazy, on-call 24/7 job as a supervisor for a team of family counselors. In 2003, I started a business with a good friend and colleague called Washington Career Services (www.dccareerservices.com), and we provide workshops and trainings t universities and companies, as well as provide career counseling to individuals. So when I left my other job, I decided to dedicate myself to private clients and the business. I also provide supervision to a few (awesome) counselors at my old company so they can also get licensed, too.

So let's see, I am a career counselor, a clinical counselor, a supervisor, a trainer...and a mom. I guess that's about it. I usually work at least 2 days per week, NOT counting various workshops and evening clients. HMB comes with me to supervision and plays while we talk, he also comes with me to work with my business partner once a week. We call him our little intern.

I could say it was a tough decision as to whether or not to work full-time for an agency after HMB was born. But it really wasn't. The toughest part was leaving my co-workers and supervisor, who I love (and still get to see once a week). But it just made sense for me, both professionally and personally. I can now focus on building up my private client base and expanding the business, as well as be with HMB. Although being self-employed has it's challenges - no guaranteed paycheck every two weeks, no paid vacation, etc - it has been worth it.

2 comments:

  1. It's tough to be a "rainmaker" (ie, getting your own clients), I'm sure. That's why I've liked the safety of my firm job. That said I love how flexible your job(s) sound!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its a good thing you have a sugardaddy! haha!

    ReplyDelete