Wednesday, July 21, 2010

HMB Takes Manhattan

HMB and I headed up to NYC this past weekend to visit a couple friends from college. The trip was a definite success, beginning with an early departure on Saturday morning (we had a wedding Friday night). HMB slept for the first two hours, we stopped for the breakfast of champions - coffee (for me) and a chocolate milkshake (for HMB). We made it to the city in about 4 hours and had the whole day to enjoy!

We headed to a park near my friend's apartment and HMB had a great time playing in the water (and trying to drink it off the ground) and just running around. At one point, he attempted to play basketball with the grown-ups.

HMB proceeded to nap for 3 and a half hours, until 6:30pm! I normally would never let this happen but I figured HMB would be able to hang late night after that nap. We headed downtown (my friends lives way uptown on the West side) for some Tasti D Lite and fun. HMB loved his yogurt treat, of course, who doesn't love TDL?

I have to admit we didn't do any sight seeing or anything else that most people would find too exciting. We did some "shopping" at Duane Reade, CVS, and Walgreens. And by shopping, I mean we chased HMB around the stores in search of random items. HMB was the luckiest of us all, he got an Elmo (aka Baby Crack) doll and book. We stopped in to visit with my friend's brother in law and adorable nephew. OK, look at the time, it's 10:30pm and we are all a little crabby - HMB because he needs a new diaper and he is tired, and us because we haven't eaten dinner yet. A quick stop at the grocery store and we were on our way back uptown.

Sunday was nice and relaxing, even though HMB woke up early despite his late bedtime. We took him to breakfast at the place we always go to and he packed away a spinach and mozzarella omelet, toast, and some potatoes! After hanging out for a bit, we headed up to a cocktail party (ok, it was more of a gathering of a few people but it involved cocktails). HMB did very well even though the party was held at an apartment that was not baby proofed whatsoever. I think I spent much of my time moving items like candsticks, electronics, and glasses off the table. BUT, HMB was great, he placed with my friend's nephew, ate some cheese and grapes, and charmed the guests.

After saying our goodbyes, we started our journey back home. HMB again did well, napped for awhile, ate some M&Ms (it's true people, chocolate is a good travelling treat) and got home. OK, we actually went straight to the gym so I could run off some of the cocktails and Tasti D Lite we ate over the weekend. Although, let me point out that we did not eat out at all except for our breakfast and we all had egg white omelets with veggies (and cheese). BUT, champagne was brought out to toast my friend, CLC, who just finished nursing school and starts her job next Monday.

All in all, I think we enjoyed our weekend. It was nice to catch up with dear friends, and just get out of DC for awhile (DC, you know I love you). HMB had so much fun and loved being the center of attention (as well as playing with all the fun stuff my friend had, including her computer and wine glasses). He was a good babe, though, and I see many trips to NYC (and other places) in our future!

No comments:

Post a Comment