Thursday, June 10, 2010

A Week in the Life...

It's true, I am not a very good blogger! It's been almost a week since the last post! And the reason why I love so many blogs is because of frequent posts (and good content, of course). Although we have had a busy week, which I would love to talk more about :)

Mondays are always a little hectic since I provide supervision to a group of counselors, which means wake up, go to gym, hurry home for HMB's nap, respond to e-mails, eat, shower and get ready during that time, head to supervision, and, if necessary, do any errands afterward. It's definitely no harder than any other day a working mom has and for this, I praise mom's who work full-time!

This Tuesday we had to take my husband's car to get fixed. Instead of us both trekking out to the dealership in the suburbs, my husband promised me it would be an hour job and HMB and I could wait for the car. I dropped the car off at 8am, all bright eyed and chipper. After the drop-off, HMB and I walked to the drug store, perused the aisles, and bought some Father's Day cards. Then headed to Starbucks and had coffee and a gluten free snack. All the while I had my phone on LOUD ring just in case the dealership called. After HMB had climbed on every chair and table and eaten goldfish off the floor, we headed back.

Once back at the dealership we waited in their waiting area (which is, to their credit, a pretty nice area complete with a coffee machine and two lounge areas). And we waited...and waited. After THREE hours, I went down to check it out. Soon, I was promised. OK, HMB had been doing really well up to this point. I had come prepared with goldfish, fruit, and milk but that's about it. We were both a little hungry and he was getting to the point where he needed a nap so badly he was spinning like a top! I made sure they had my cell number again and HMB and I trekked out to a grocery store nearby.

And lo and behold, when we returned, FOUR hours after we dropped off the car, it was ready. But....yep, there is a but....they couldn't fix it all because "someone" had spilled something in the window and the whole system had shorted. Of course they didn't have the part so I had to come back again on Thursday. The man looked me in the eyes and said, "It will take 25 minutes, and you heard this from me". OK, I can handle that. HMB napped on the way home and I was able to get a reservation at the gym for the afternoon.

Wednesday was Wednesday and I ran a lot of errands in order to get our condo ready to be placed on the market and seen by the general public. This also included attempting to buy a bathing suit (or really those boy shorts and something to cover up my belly). I did not succeed whatsoever with the suit but did get some skirts and a dress on sale.

Thursday, up early and heading to the dealership with HMB still in his jammies rubbing his eyes. We get thre before 8am but they open at 7am so no problem right? Well, the woman tells me it will be about an hour. Wait a second, I was told 25 minutes! Yeah, she says, but our technicians are just getting in and some aren't here yet. Ah, ok, no biggie. HMB and I head to our regular route, hitting up the drug store then Starbucks. We go back and wait and make friends with a nice woman who told me to start investing in HMB's college now because he will definitely be an engineed. I didn't have the heart to tell her that HMB was actually planning on going to college on a scholarship and become an NFL long snapper.

After an hour and a half I am getting crabby and so is HMB. He was doing really well, especially after I got the M&Ms! He particularly likes the yellow ones, probably because he can say yellow. I go down and check and I am told that it will be soon. I wanted to shout "You looked me in the eye and told me 25 minutes!!" But of course I did not. Oh wait, no, just kidding, we are having more issues and now the back windows will not go down.

Now, I am all about putting things in perspective and this is so not the worse thing ever. BUT, I also have commitments today that I would like to keep and this affects other people. I tell him this and he offers a loaner car. I accept, even though getting the car seat out is slightly painstaking, I don't even care. A technician is able to get the car seat out and just as we are bringing it to other car, he comes out "It's fixed". SWEET! So we put the car seat back in, I get the key, and we are all happy!

Lesson learned people, always just drop the damn car off and go back and pick it up! Through it all, HMB was pretty awesome, I must say. He was making friends and chatting with everyone he saw. He also tried to stick his head through the railing and climbed on top of the newspaper rack, but he's just curious! He also took the satellite card out of the tv, fell over on the little chair about 10 times, pressed the button for water about 10 times, sang loudly every time we walked by someone on the phone, and overll had a great time!! And I love that about him!

1 comment:

  1. I just went through repair hell for my minivan. They totally Fed up and I couldn't pick it up for 3 weeks (wrong part, then a defective part). They waived the deductible though so at the end of the day I'm okay with it. I'm coming to DC so soon! I HAVE to see you! Send me your cell on FB so I have it. Love, KJ

    ReplyDelete