Monday, June 21, 2010

Milk Boycott of 2010

For the first 8 months of his life, HMB was a chubster! He weighed in at about 19 lbs at his 6 month check-up! He slowed down considerably since then and hovers around the 23 pound mark now, losing a few ounces back in February when he was sick, then gaining it back after awhile.

Since introducing solid foods, I would not say that HMB was a great eater. He definitely preferred breastfeeding to anything else. Slowly, he started to eat more and now he will routinely put away: 2 baby yogurts, half a piece of toast with peanut butter, broccoli with dip, and some goldfish in a sitting. In addition to the food, I still give HMB milk at least twice, usually 3-4 times per day. Since he didn't start taking a bottle until he was 13 months old, I was still giving him his milk in bottle in the morning and evening.

Since HMB never took a bottle, we didn't have too many bottles and nipples on hand. When he had the occasional bottle, we used the generic nipples we got for free from the hospital and those seems to work just fine. As many of you know, with babies comes losing things. I was down to two nipples until one day HMB decided to chuck his bottle on the hardwood floor and the nipple cracked, spilling milk everywhere. Down to one...until that one also cracked (I think I actually dropped that last one).

At first, I tried to give HMB some Born Free bottles that I had and that didn't work out so well. I then bought some more generic type of nipples (and bottles) and those didn't do the trick either. Wait a minute, HMB is almost one and a half, can't he stop drinking from a bottle? YES, yes he can! So I bought a few more sippy cups and went for it. HMB is now not interested in drinking milk from the cups either!

So do we have a milk boycott on our hands? HMB might be getting what he needs from his food so he doesn't need the milk, but I would think that first thing in the morning he would be hungry enough to drink some milk? HMB also used to get a little bit of Pediasure in his milk (the doc suggested this after he lost weight being sick) and we stopped doing that a few weeks ago. So maybe straight milk isn't sweet enough for him? I really don't want to have to top his milk off wiht Pediasure to get him to drink it!

All I know is, HMB is certainly not starving and he will eat when he wants to eat, he will eat A LOT when he wants to eat A LOT! And he seems to be getting bigger! We'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment