Sunday, August 1, 2010

The "Question"

We got pregnant with HMB about a year after we got married. I guess to most people this seems like an acceptable amount of time to wait, or even too soon. I'm not sure but I don't remember getting many "When are you having a baby?" questions at all. But now...woa! I guess once you pop one out, people are very interested in knowing when there will be another one coming. I have fielded this question from friends, family members, and perfect strangers in the past few months.

Now, I am generally one to give out too much information (TMI) even when not prompted or asked. And the inquiries don't really bother me too much. It's just a matter of explaining the reasons, then realizing that I don't have to really justify anything to anyone (good friends excluded because sometimes they just want to know).

Chris (my husband, just in case there is anyone left who doesn't know his name) was talking to a couple of women from our softball team the other day. In their defense, I do think the question was more along the lines of ARE you guys having another baby as opposed to WHEN are you having another one. When he relayed this story to me, he couldn't quite remember the exact words but it was something along the lines of: Well, due to breastfeeding for almost a year and a half and having a hyperthyroid, Susanne hasn't gotten her girly thing back yet...but she's taking some medication to get it back and then...(he stops talking here). Then an awkward pause. Hey, they asked and he answered!

OK, I give Chris props for talking cycles with two women, and I could care less who knows all that information (as a previously mentioned TMI'er). But this is why it's sometimes better to just stay away from that question. Sometimes the answer is long and involved, sometimes people don't want anymore kids. I have thought about the answer to this question a lot after being asked it so many times over the past few months. My answer to people I don't know (at all or very well) is: It's none of your damn business! No, not really! I just say that we would like to have another baby but not right now. Again, due to my TMI nature, if you are a friend or I know you even relatively well, watch out because you WILL get the full story!!

The fact of the matter is, we would like to have at least one more child, a little brother or sister for HMB who will hopefully have the same disposition but sleep better (please please let our next one sleep better). First, I need to get myself healthy and the last year has been a little rough on me. Creating a new life is pretty damn exhausting and I feel like I need to be on the top of my game, not two months out of recovering from a disease that hit me like a ton of bricks.

All that said, I honestly don't care if I am asked that question, I just don't always know how to answer it! Everyone will just have to wait and see!

2 comments:

  1. Good idea to focus on your health and your family right now. You're young and there is plenty of time. I'm sure eventually if you have a "clock" it will start ticking and you'll be raring to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those kind of questions always annoy me, too. Even though I have nothing to hide, and I'm always happy to share or even volunteer that kind of information to my friends/family/acquaintances. I just think that they should wait for me to say something, not just ask outright. Maybe it's the idea that you could be judged if you don't give the "right" answer? People can get so opinionated about things like family size...

    I'm crossing my fingers for a good sleeper for you next time around, whenever that may be!

    ReplyDelete